jueves, 3 de febrero de 2011

Silverstone FT03 build quality review









Hi everybody, I just receive my new computer case. It is a 150 euros micro ATX aluminum case named Fortress and made by Silverstone with an innovate design that will change the way we are used to look at a computer case.
I think the design is amazing, after a few weeks searching the web for a computer case or htpc case among some top brands , I found this one to fit exactly my needs (mainly my needs were an micro ATX case, made of aluminum, with a "picky" design far from those "cybernetics looking cases"and if possible carrying USB3 connectors.
The main innovation is that the motherboard is tilted 90 degrees. making possible to have all the connectors, jacks and everything on the "roof" of the case instead of having them in the back.
This way we can afford having all four sides plain, just the slot for the optical drive is in the way. It remember us a mac pro version.
The first thing you notice when you see the case is that it is bigger than you probably expected and more squared. I mean that the base is more of a square than a rectangle as we are used to in a standard computer case.
The built quality is fine, It could be better. It has some cheap looking plastic parts. I wonder why they don´t make all pieces of metal, since almost all parts are metal. ( plastic pieces are the net, the top cover, the HD holder, the pieces that hold the sides to the main frame and some other insignificant parts.











Another thing I complain is the finish of the surface. I though it was brushed aluminum, but instead I found it is some finish that look like a painted surface. I´m not sure if it is paint or some finish but I¨m sure it would gain some top quality looking with a brushed surface as the one from Shuttle barebones.



Surface comparison between fortress FT03 and Shuttle Xpc


Pros: 
Dimensions. (Depth is only 11 inches)
Gorgeous design, different from standard cases we are use to.
Arranging of connectors.
No screws to open it. (It´ll take you less than a second to take any of the sides or front off)

Cons:
Plastic parts
USB3 connectors are really extensions of the one´s you must have in your board.
Price: 150 euros at ibertronica (Spain)
Difficult to carry if you plan to take to lan partyes
Cables inside don´t have sleeve and looks messy

note: Since I haven´t build the components or peripheral yet, I can´t approach from the perfomance poinf of view.  

Conclusion:
I think this is the nicest and more innovate case I could get for the price (150 euros in spain). I wish it were all parts made of brushed aluminum. Even thou it has some minors flawless, I don´t regret of getting it and I can´t wait to get a decent PSU, motherboard,.... to build it up ant test it performance.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario